December Crowdfunder | Change lives with your donations matched
1 December 2022
Throughout December, AVIVA Community Fund will match your donation (up to £250) to help us change the lives of those experiencing or at risk of homelessness, crisis and disadvantage in our community
Union Chapel is one of the country’s most vibrant arts venues, home to exceptional live music and performance (voted London’s Greatest Live Music Venue in Time Out, with 100,000 visitors to 250 events in 2019). From our stunning Grade I listed heritage building, we provide an essential homeless service and a diverse creative programme ensuring that community empowerment and social justice are at the heart of everything we do.
The Margins Project was established in 1992 by Union Chapel to help those experiencing marginalisation, crisis, and homelessness. Margins has a track record of nearly 30 years supporting people experiencing or at risk of homelessness, crisis and disadvantage through an extensive programme including:
- Crisis Drop-In Centre: twice a week offering nutritious meals, showers, laundry and clothing, hardship support, and emergency packs.
- Housing, Benefits & Advice Service: working with beneficiaries on a case work basis, advising and advocating around issues including housing and benefits, debt management, work, landlord disputes, domestic violence, immigration.
- Supported Employment Training Programme: offering training and paid employment for up to 15 people a year with a history of homelessness. Most trainees work in the Margins Café, which serves at Union Chapel events and gigs. Trainees also receive ancillary support such as job club, therapy and ESOL.
- Wellbeing support and mentoring
What we want to achieve with this Crowdfunder
Since 2020 demand for our service has more than doubled, driven largely by the cost-of-living crisis and the effects of the Covid-19 pandemic – and we anticipate demand continuing to grow in coming months. At the same time, Union Chapel’s income has been critically impacted over the last few years, with both the pandemic and now inflation massively impacting the income raised through our venue activities – a substantial source of our charitable funds. We are experiencing a perfect storm of a substantial increase in demand against a decrease in income.
The money raised through the Aviva Community Fund will help cover the increasing running costs of keep Union Chapel open and warm for our communities and enable us to work with more people experiencing or at risk of homelessness, crisis and disadvantage by supporting them realise their potential and succeed.
Union Chapel is situated in the inner London borough of Islington. Despite Islington’s wealthy image, it is very much a borough of contrasts. Islington is among the poorest 20% neighbourhoods in Britain with high rates of child poverty, loneliness, homelessness, and unemployment.
We believe that everyone deserves an opportunity to flourish and realise their potential. Our work is ongoing and is a step-by-step approach where we take individuals with multiple issue through a holistic process to build their confidence, self-esteem, wellbeing, life and employment skills and resilience.
With your support, we will make the following difference for our beneficiaries:
- Increased quality of life through better shelter, food, hygiene and safety, access to temporary, permanent accommodation and prevention of eviction;
- Improved physical and/or mental health and well-being;
- Improved economic circumstances through access to benefits and employment;
- Improved life skills and employability skills;
- Improved confidence and self-esteem.